Friday, March 27, 2009

Lenten dish

My mother was raised Roman Catholic (she was Italian after all) and then converted to Baptist. But, when you grow up and you get used to doing something all your life, I suppose it's difficult to quit it when you get married. So, every Friday was fish day. I personally loved it because I love any kind of fish or seafood, even calamari.

Well, we have a friend coming to visit us this weekend who is Russian Orthodox and because of lent he is on a no meat/no dairy fast -- I guess that's what it's called. So, I had to get my brain moving to decide what I was going to feed him. Alan hates fish, but what else could I do. I didn't really want to go to any stores, but I didn't have any fish except a can of tuna around, so out I went.

I went to the fish market -- I love that store -- and got a whole trout (a small one) and I had them remove the head. I love fish, but don't particularly care to face the fishes eyes.

My mom cooked fish so simply, yet it was so good, or maybe I just liked it because almost anything my mom cooked I loved.

I'm going to salt and pepper the inside of the trout, then stuff the inside with lemon slices. The outside will be sprinkles with EVOO and garlic salt and some fresh chopped parsley -- JUST LIKE MOM DID IT. That's it. I'll bake it at 350 for 1/2 hour, then test it for doneness. But it's a small fish and I think that will be long enough for it to bake.

I guess I'd better remove the bones before I cook it. I know how to do that, I think. I've watched enough de-boning episodes on the cooking channel, and I have a very sharp fish knife!

Watch out when I have that thing in my hand.

BTW, it was suggested, after I purchased the fish, that I make spaghetti salad. That would have been a perfect substitute for a meatless, dairy less meal. But too late. I may make it as a side course. Alan at least will eat that.

So, I'm off for the weekend. It's a busy one.

ttfn

1 comment:

  1. I've always wondered how to cook fish - raw fish that doesn't come in stick form. ;-) I'll have to give that a shot! Sounds simple and yummy!

    ReplyDelete