Monday, March 23, 2009

Stew

I recently got a crock pot. That is something my mom never had. In fact, I never had one either.

I love stew. I wasn't feeling real well a few days ago and I wanted to do something that would be easy, so I thought stew. My mom made such good stew, and as I recalled her dish, I started salivating.

I didn't have all the ingredients I needed to make my mom's recipe, but I had enough to make a stew of sorts. And, as I found out, throwing everything into the crock certainly made it so easy.

So, this recipe is for a crock pot, not a heavy cast iron pot. It seems to me, though, that basically it's the same principle for cooking such a meal

Ingredients: (My mother's)

Fennel, 1 bulb, cut up
1 Large onion, cut up
2 baking potatoes, peeled and cut up into small pieces
1-1/2 pound chuck steak or stew meat (which is very tough, so I don't buy it)
3 carrots, peeled and cut up into small pieces

Into the crock put the veggies, add salt and pepper to taste. Cover with water, add the meat -- which is cut into 1 inch cubes (or smaller). To this my mom often added 1/2 package of onion soup mix. The onion soup mix came out when I was about 6 or 7 and it certainly made the stew have a better taste.

I cooked this for 3 hours on high, then cut it back for 1 hour. If I had remembered early in the a.m. to get it started, I would have cooked it on low for 8 hours.

Anyway, I thickened the "juice" in the pot by taking 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of corn starch, mixed into a liquid, and then poured that into the stew and stirred.

Alan ate it, even asked for more, and had it again two days later and loved it then, too.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment