Thursday, April 2, 2009

Easy Beef Stroganoff

I can't believe I haven't updated this BLOG for five days. You all must be starving if you're depending on me for recipes for dinner.

My mom never made beef stroganoff. It was a dish I learned to make early in my marriage and one time my mom came to New Brunswick (well, Piscataway) to visit Alan and me and I made beef stroganoff. She loved it. It's really very, very easy to make.

I found out after I made it the right way, with wine, mushrooms, etc., that the ingredients in Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup are the same as what I was putting in the stroganoff, sans beef and sour cream.

What you need:

round steak, about two pounds (feeds 6-8)
2 cans golden mushroom soup (don't try a store brand, it's not the same)
1/2 package Lipton's onion soup mix
1 cup (or more if you like) sour cream (you can use lite or no fat sour cream, but it may separate)
salt and pepper
garlic salt

Cut the steak into bite-sized pieces and sprinkle with salt, pepper and about 10 shakes of garlic salt. In skillet put two pats of butter. Turn on to high heat. When the butter melts, put in the pieces of meat. Brown them, but not too much, leave a little pink. At this time, while the meat is browning, add the onion soup mix. After the meat is browned, add the cans of soup and only one can of water, and the sour cream. The sour cream will make the sauce more liquidy, but as it cools a little it will thicken. Lower heat and let simmer about 10 minutes. This will cook the pink meat and the meat will be more tender.

Serve over noodles or rice, your choice. I like it both ways, but prefer the noodles.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment