Sunday, April 19, 2009

Peppers and Eggs

Well, we got to Cousin Micki's earlier this week and she was so pleased. She had made peppers and eggs for our lunch sandwiches. Sorry to say that is one of my least favorite "family" foods there is. And poor Mick, she really thought she was giving us something wonderful.

The first time I ate peppers and eggs (P&E) was at Aunt Annie's. Aunt Annie loved the stuff, as did my mom. But I couldn't gag it down no matter how hard I tried. Given the ingredients separately, I'd have had no problem, but together, and on bread as a sandwich? Not so much.

If any of you want to try this very common Abruzzi mock-off, here's the recipe:

Needed

4 or five eggs
1 pepper (green or red)
1 onion
salt and ground pepper
EVOO or butter

Finely chop the pepper and onion. In large pan (heated) melt two pats of butter (or heat one tablespoon of EVOO), cook the peppers and onions until the they are slightly browned, but not soft. Add the eggs. Just dump them in and stir them in with the peppers and onions as if you were making scrambled eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste. That's all there is to it.

This mess was served at lunch and was mostly eaten when we went to the shore. The adults loved it on bread. I guess it was a cheap lunch, since the pepper and onion came from the garden, and the eggs came from our neighbor. Unfortunately, we children, as far as I know never grew to enjoy the dish.

ttfn

1 comment:

  1. Well, had I been there, I'd have eaten yours- if it wasn't too hot outside. That's one of those wintertime comfort foods for our house for say a quick, hot meal after evening service. Then pull up a tray and watch Iron Chef...
    Though, if it's hot out- ick. That'll make me sick at my belly quick as anything.
    Now, my youngest daughter likes mushrooms in hers, too and my son likes added cheese. But, it's great on toast.
    I'm glad you had a nice time. I hope I get to see you again soon!!!

    ReplyDelete