Thursday, September 3, 2009

Sour kraut

Did I spell that correctly? I don't know. You get the idea.

Sour kraut wasn't popular at our home when I was growing up. It stunk (or is it stank?) up the house. I didn't think it tasted all that good, either. But, my father loved it. So every once in a while my mom would open a can -- yes we had canned SK back then -- and put it in a pot with a small pork roast -- had to stretch that meat to feed a family of six.

Now I know it's not SK season. It's still summer. Oh, really? Well, out here where I live now, it's been like fall, and that is SK season. And I also live in a high-German-content area, so SK is something we eat year round.

I have two favorite SK dishes. One is a Reuben sandwich. Easy to make: rye bread, corned beef sliced super thin and piled high on the bread (the key is the corned beef must be sliced thin), SK, and most people like Russian dressing on the sandwich. I prefer it "dry."

My second favorite is pork and SK.

Last week I gave you all a recipe for pork loin roast. Usually I have some left over, from which I either make soup or pork and SK. You see, I'm all for easy, and left-over pork roast with SK (never canned, always packaged from the butcher) is very easy to make. All I do is put the left-over pork and remaining gravy in a pan, and then pour one quart of SK over that. Simmer it for a few hours, long enough to make the house stink, and you have a great supper.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment