Monday, September 7, 2009

Potato salad

Today is a holiday. Every warm-weather holiday we had potato salad. I think my mom made the best potato salad ever, and I have faithfully preserved her recipe. No muss, no fuss, just plain potato salad.

I use:

10 medium size potatoes
5 eggs
several stalks of celery
mayonnaise
mustard
vinegar

My mom's potato salad had no sugar, and rarely would she add pickles. If she added pickles, they were of the dill variety. I prefer potato salad straight, no additives.

So I boil the potatoes and eggs in the same pot. I do not peel the potatoes before cooking them. And if they are thin-skinned potatoes such as the red potatoes or Yukon golds, I don't skin them after I cook them either. I leave the skins on and just smash the potatoes with a potato smasher, or I cut the potatoes into small pieces, depending on how pretty I want to make the salad, and how much time I have. The potatoes have been salted when they are cooked. I put a tablespoon of salt in the water.

Then I put into this two cups of chopped celery. And I chop up the eggs (after I peel them).

I add enough mayonnaise to moisten the potatoes, a tablespoon of mustard, and a teaspoon of vinegar.

That's it. Tastes delicious if you like a non-sweet potato salad.

One variation I've tried is to use bottled ranch dressing with the mayonnaise and omit the mustard and vinegar. That tastes good as well.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment