Monday, July 6, 2009

Cream cheese and olives sandwiches

When I was in Florida in the Spring, I was reminded of a favorite of our family. I know I wrote about this on the Runnemede Remembered, but as I was fixing lunch today I was reminded about something my cousin Robert told me when we were visiting. Robert is a little over a year old than I, and we were playmates when we were little kids. After his sister was born, I didn't have time for him any more and spent all my time with her instead. But for several years we were best buds.



He told me that every time he came to visit us he couldn't wait for lunchtime because Aunt Rose (my mom) would make him a cream cheese and olive sandwich.



I have varied the sandwich filling only in the preparation, which I've dumbed down for arthritic hands. This recipe can also be used for "tea" sandwiches, to go with cucumber sandwiches -- another one of my mom's best sandwich fixings. Just cut the crust off the bread and cut the squared into triangle quarters.



What you need:



bread -- your favorite kind -- my mother always used fresh baked Italian bread. I always use Wonder bread, soft and squishy, and not very nutricious.

olives, green with pimentos

cream cheese -- Philly brand -- easy spread

Just spread the cream cheese on a slice of bread, really slather it on.
Chop the olives and put a handful on top of the cream cheese -- make sure the whole piece of bread has some part of the olive on it.
Cover with another piece of bread, making it a sandwich, closed rather than open faced.

Eat. My mom used to mix the chopped olives into an 8-oz package of Philly Creamed Cheese. Too much work, especially when the cheese is just out of the fridge. Then she'd spread the mixture onto a slice of Italian bread. I prefered to eat it without another piece of bread on top, ONLY if it was on Italian bread.

That's all there is to it. I hope you enjoy these sandwiches.

ttfn









1 comment:

  1. What did she put on her cucumber sandwiches? I tried one the other day (my first) after reading about some family who ate them. I did it like a tomato sandwich- mayo, salt, and pepper. Cucumbers sliced thin. It was good, but didn't thril the kids. Plus, it's messy to eat and I can't imagine those old teas with messy sandwiches.
    Any ideas?
    Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete