Friday, February 6, 2009

Introduction to Runnemede Remembered Recipes

My grandmother Sbaraglia from whom my mother learned to cook. She was born in Italy and immigrated to America in 1906.
This is a picture of my mother and father taken shortly before my mom went to be with her Lord. She taught me to cook and to love cooking. I think my hsuband has enjoyed my cooking for the last 43 years, and I know I perfer what I cook, although I do enjoy a trip to a restaurant once in a while.


I have often been asked by readers of Runnemede Remembered or The Fat Lady Singeth for recipes for the food mentioned in those posts and for recipes that my mother handed down to me.

My grandmother Sbaraglia, from whom my mother learned to cook, came to America in 1906 from Torrevechia Teatina Chietti Abruzzi Italy. Her cooking was southern, coastal Italian cooking. My mom also cooked to please my father whose heritage was Pennsylvania Dutch. Those recipes, I suppose came from my father's stepmother, Anna Drexler.

My mother started teaching me to cook when I was 8 years old after I nagged her for months to allow me to cook. Oh, I had helped with cookies before that, and I had snapped beans and cleaned out lima beans and peas from their pods, but actually standing at the stove and cooking? That I had to beg to do. So for Christmas in 1951 I received a Children's Cookbook and the first thing I actually "cooked" was scrambled eggs. I remember that vividly, and those scrambled eggs were perfect -- they were fluffy, not dry, and well seasoned. That initiated my love for cooking.

My dear mother let me cook once in a while, but I watched her like a hawk, and I asked questions, and I was able to follow a recipe from her favorite cookbook -- name forgotten, but it was thick, green, and had lots of handwritten recipes tucked in its pages. That book is long gone, but her recipes are still around in my head, in my handwritten notes, and occasionally on my stove.

I hope you enjoy this BLOG. Please comment and give me suggestions if you have an "upgrade" to the recipe I post. I will try to do one per day, but I may not do that, so don't panic if I miss a day or two.

Now on to the purpose of this post -- recipes.

mtf

No comments:

Post a Comment