Monday, February 16, 2009

Gravy wars

A former workmate friend of mine sent me an e-mail about a book entitled Gravy Wars. It's about South Philly cooking. I must get the book so I can compare my mom's sauce to her mom's gravy. That's why the book is called "Gravy Wars." Apparently, most folks from South Philly refer to spaghetti sauce as "gravy."

In our South Philly family we didn't do that. As I told my friend, gravy was something you put on roast beef or mashed potatoes. Sauce was what we put on the spagetts. (I didn't misspell spaghetti -- we pronounced it spa getts).

Well, I found an interesting quote from the book and it was so true. You'll remember I told you all that we Italians didn't do desserts. I bet you thought it was just me and mine, right? Well...here's the quote:

Italians do not serve dessert. Instead, they prepare a sweet table. Nine tempting recipes, which will entice readers to consider living the "sweet life," follow a self-deprecating account of martyrdom in the kitchen. This chapter mocks a prideful resistance to boxed cakes. Her chapter (8) entitled, Dolce Vita, from the book, Gravy Wars by Lorraine Ranalli.

Thought you would want to know. No new recipe today. I'll have another scrumptious addition tomorrow.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment