Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Chicken Cacciatore

Tonight I'm making chicken cacciatore. Mom made this dish rarely, maybe once a month or less. I'm not certain whether it was a favored dish in our home. I personally loved it. Once again, mom used left over chicken, if she had it, or she'd get a whole chicken, cut it up, and just use the breast meat for the dish. If she used the breast meat, she'd cook it first (in water and keep the stock) and then cut it up for the dish.

What you need:

1 large can tomato puree
basil
oregano
garlic salt
1 onion, cut into large chunks
1 pepper, cut into large chunks
chicken pieces
olive oil

In skillet, coat the bottom of the pan with drippings of olive oil, don't overdo it with the oil. Turn the heat on high and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of garlic salt over the oil (personally, I just shake the garlic salt shaker about 10 times). My mom didn't measure anything, so I'm guessing at the measurement on the garlic salt. When the salt starts turning brown add the onion and pepper. Stirring with wooden spoon, so that they don't burn, cook for about two minutes. Turn down the heat to low, and add the chicken, puree, oregano (a smidge), basil (1 tblspn dried, if fresh, use more). Simmer this for at least one hour. Use as "gravy" or "sauce" for your favorite pasta.

NOTE: Sometimes mom would add mushrooms, but most of the family didn't like mushrooms. It was a texture thing. Me? I liked the mushrooms, and if I make this dish, I use mushrooms. So, tonight, we'll have CC with mushrooms, because, ta-da, I just happen to have some in the fridge.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment