Thursday, August 6, 2009

Just plain hamburgers

My mom made just plain hamburgers (beef burgers). She didn't do anything fancy to the ground beef, she just made the ground round into patties and slapped them into her iron pan and cooked them. We seemed to enjoy them, at least that's what I remember.

Dad liked to make burgers, too. Only he juiced them up a bit. And I have to admit that I really didn't like his burgers until .... until MacDonald's copied it.

His burger was topped with mustard, ketchup, a dill pickle. He left off the onions, but I always put them on.

My favorite burger was made by a teen hangout called Haines. It was down on the Del-Sea Drive on the way to Glassboro. It was a favorite place to stop on the way home from school (college) for lunch, or supper, depending on the time of day we commuters finally decided it was time to head home.

You could get a most delicious burger there for only 35 cents -- that was a cheese burger. If you wanted fried onions, hot peppers, tomato, pickle, etc., that was free. And fries were a dime. So for 50 cents you could get a nice supper, including tip. I know 5 cents isn't much of a tip, but it was better than nothing, and because we were just to lazy to wait around for our change, that was what the waitress usually got. Rarely, one or the other of us commuters would put an extra quarter on the table, making the entire table tip, 50 cents.

So, I made burgers tonight. Just plain burgers -- the way Alan and I like them.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment