Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ewww!

Well, because of my back problems, Alan's been doing the "cooking" for four days now. Actually, he's been eating, I haven't. Tonight, I decided to open a jar of marinara sauce, the brand of which tasted really good last time I used it. After a two-year break from this particular brand (which is local) the taste was completely different and really awful, or I just got a jar from a bad batch.

So, tonight we had spaghetti with jarred spaghetti sauce topped with parmsan cheese and a salad. I should just not have eaten again. it was really, really bad. Poor Alan.

Lesson learned -- make your own sauce and freeze it.

My sauce:

1 large can tomato puree (I used an Italian brand)
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 small onion - diced
1/2 carrot - diced
six large leaves basil, chopped
1/4 cup chopped italian parsley.

In large pan saute in olive (EVOO) the garlic, onion, and carrot. When the garlic is lightly browned, add the tomato puree, stir. Add the basil and the parsley, cover and cook for two or more hours.

This is my favorite meatless sauce. And it freezes well.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment