Tuesday, June 2, 2009

EVOO

My niece Lori told me today that she had never used EVOO in recipes before I wrote this BLOG. So I decided to write a little bit about EVOO and explain why I use it instead of some other "oil" in cooking.

EVOO is extra virgin olive oil.

First, EVOO, is the best oil you can use because it is actually good for the heart. It doesn't clog the arteries as other "oils" do. Cooking oil is the worst of all in that respect. I only use cooking oil when I bake because frankly, the taste of EVOO is strong and it changes the taste of pies and cakes. BUT, I do use it when I bake pizzas because EVOO does go with that type of baking. Can you tell the difference? If it has sugar, don't use EVOO, if it doesn't have sugar, use the EVOO.

I did a little more research some months ago on EVOO, and found that it is good for those who suffer arthritis. Frankly, I've been using EVOO for years, and if it is supposed to help with arthritis I hate to think how much worse the arthritis I have would be. I have a cousin, though, who swears by it and he doses himself up with a couple of tablespoons every day. I just can't do that, sorry. I love EVOO with bread and in cooking, but to just spoon it into my mouth? I don't think so.

EVOO is a laxative. When I was pregnant with my second child I was having a difficult time -- I was very, very constipated. Back then you just didn't take any medicines to help with problems you might have because you were pregnant. So, I called my mom, and she told me to take a couple of tablespoons of EVOO and that would solve the problem. It did. And ever since then, that's been the family remedy for constipation. I guess that's more info than you all wanted, but there it is.

So, cook with EVOO. Fried foods CAN be good for you! And use it for its medicinal purposes. Just hold your nose and swallow it. Holding your nose when you're swallowing something eliminates tasting what you're putting into your mouth.

Now that I've explained about EVOO, maybe I should give you a recipe (or two).

Flavored olive oil is easy to make, and a lot less expensive if you do it yourself rather than buying it at the store.

Garlic flavored oil is really easy to make. Just peel five or six cloves (sections of a whole garlic) and smash it slightly. Put those cloves in a small bottle of EVOO, wait a few days, and you will have a great dip for bread.

You can also use any of your favorite herbs in the same way. If you want thyme flavored oil put a coule of stalks of thyme into a bottle and wait a few days. Yum! It's especially good to use this flavored oil for frying chicken. It gives it a different flavor. Also, use it as a rub on lamb. You will really enjoy the flavor.

Enough for now. But writing about EVOO gives me an impetus for updating this particular BLOG more often.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment