Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Chicken Curry

I haven't made chicken curry (or any curry for that matter) for years. But, I had a coupon for coconut milk, a product I don't normally buy, so I'm trying to think of ways to use it up. It was a two-for, so I have to use up a gallon of the stuff by the middle of July. I guess I need to go to my favorite recipe Website and find some recipes.

However, chicken curry is very easy to make.

Buy a couple of tablespoons of your favorite curry powder (if you go to a spice shop), or buy a small container of it in the spice section of your grocery store. You will need 2 tablespoons for this recipe, and it isn't very spicy-hot.

First, the chicken needs to be simmered until it is cooked through. I prefer chicken breasts with the bone in for this because the bones seem to give more flavor to the chicken. I suggest one whole breast for two people.

After the chicken is cooked and cooled (you can flash cool it in a bowl of ice water, or just wait until it's cool enough to touch) you need to cut it into bite-size pieces.

Take the juice that is left from the simmer of the chicken and add 1 cup of coconut milk and 2 Tblspns of curry. Salt and pepper to taste. Return the chicken pieces to this concoction and simmer again until the liquid has reduced by 1/2. This will thicken the sauce. Serve over rice.

We like condiments with our curry such as peanuts or cashews, scallions or chives, fresh chopped basil, tomato pieces (like for a guacamole, small sized bits), chopped avacado, raisins or dried cranberries. You just put any of these on top of the rice/curry and enjoy.

NOTE: If you like hot curry, add some hot sauce to taste. This will change the flavor of the curry/coconut mixture. But some people prefer it this way.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment