Wednesday, October 27, 2010

fetuccini alfredo

I think If I looked back, I'd see that I already have put this recipe into this BLOG, but my sister and cousin and I enjoyed this so much on a recent trip to Virginia, that I thought I'd reprieve it, per sis's request.

Mom never made this treat. However...

Back in the mid-80s to the early 90s when I was entertaining frequently, I found that this dish was well received by any and all in attendance at one of my dinner parties. I varied the base from time to time by including cut up ham or bits of bacon, but always started with the same base.

The recipe is very, very simple.

For 4-6 people:

1 pound of fettuccine noodles -- cooked according to package directions. BE SURE TO NOT OVERCOOK the noodles.

1 quart of heavy cream.
1/4 of a stick of butter
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
2 cups Parmesan cheese

In large fry pan* melt the butter. Sprinkle the garlic salt over the melted butter. Mix. Add to the melted butter the cream. Slowly bring the cream to a bubble, but not a boil. If the cream boils, it will separate. It will still taste as good, it just looks nasty. After the cream comes to a bubble, add the cheese, stirring until all the cheese is mixed in. Turn down the heat to low (electric stove is a 1 or 2 setting). Let the sauce keep warm until the noddles are cooked. Add the noodles into the cream sauce right in that pan, mix and let the mixture remain in the pan (on low) for 5 minutes or so, so that the sauce is absorbed into the noodles.

Eat and enjoy. Serve with salad, and if you wish garlic bread. We had it with fresh tomato/basil salad, which was a real treat.

*Large fry pan -- large enough to hold all the sauce and all the cooked noodles.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment