Friday, September 3, 2010

Lunch with a friend

I had lunch with a friend yesterday. It was such a treat for ME to have my friend visit and then stay for lunch. I still like to entertain, and now that my knees are doing so much better, I can entertain without getting so sore.

My mother didn't do lunches with friends, but the recipes I used for my luncheon were mostly hers.

The luncheon consisted of:

  • Lime flavor chips and green (tomatilo) salsa (bottled). I have to say that I don't really care for this salsa. It's just too mild for me. I think I'll stick to the red (tomato) salsa.
  • Fresh garden salad with a lemon/white wine vinegar dressing. Salad contained fresh greens, cucumber from the garden, fresh picked tomatoes, and avocado.
  • Cucumber sandwiches
  • Peaches with whipped cream

The lemon/white wine vinegar dressing is very simple to make. Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the avocado and over the cucumbers. Salt the salad lightly. Add 1/4 cup of vegetable oil or olive oil (depending on your taste). Stir thoroughly.

The cucumber sandwiches are made as follows: remove the outer skin from the cucumber. Cut the cucumber in half length-wise and remove all the seeds. Then slice the cucumbers into thin slices. Add 1/4 cup white vinegar and 1 tablespoon of salt. Chill overnight. To make the actual sandwich, I use the softer bread, but any bread (your favorite) will do. Spread a very thin covering on one slice of bread of Philadelphia brand whipped cream cheese. Lay on top of the cream cheese the slices of cucumber that you made last night. Cut into quarters. If you wish, take off the crusts. Do not make these too far ahead as the bread will get soggy.

The cucumber sandwiches are delicious as is the salad. Enjoy.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment