Friday, April 30, 2010

Dried meatloaf

Can anyone tell my why my meatloaf was so dry last night? I mean, yuck. I don't particularly care for meatloaf anyway, but this one was awful. It tasted okay if I slathered it with stewed tomatoes, or for Alan, with ketchup, but it was dry.

I guess I just can't do an oven roasted meat loaf. I usually brown it on top of the stove, then cover the pot, and cook it on top of the stove. That's the way my mother did it. But I chose the lazy route yesterday, and made the meatloaf and cooked it all in the same pan.

Then I made fried noodles, and for some reason the butter just wouldn't stick to the noodles. They were good, though. Fried noodles is something that is a natural side dish for meatloaf. I used to have mashed potatoes, but they are too much trouble. I just hate peeling potatoes, and I'm not fond of the skins, so smashed potatoes isn't often an option. I only smash the potatoes, skin and all, when I'm desperate.

Hunts has a new diced tomato -- it has oregano, basil, onion, and garlic in it. It's my mother's stewed tomatoes in a can, all I have to do it thicken it a bit. It sure was easier than trying to make sure I got all the spices in the right quantities for the way I have prepared stewed tomatoes all my "cooking" life.

Oh, enough, already. I'm on to other things, and cooking isn't one of them.

If you have a perfect meatloaf recipe -- one that gives you a moist meatloaf every time, let me know.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment