Thursday, October 29, 2009

What I did with left over roast chicken

I have to say that the original roasted chicken was absolutely delicious.  Moist as could be.  And the gravy I made was also excellent, if I say so myself.  I have found that even on cruises, most things I ask for, I prefer the way I fix better.  I realize I'm not making a dish for 2,000 people so I can take my time and care more about it.  No assembly-line food in my house, unless I want it (go out to eat or go on a cruise, or something like that).

Tonight I made something with the left-over chix from yesterday, and it was really, really good.  A surprise.

First I made the rice (1 cup water, 1/2 cup rice).  I boiled the water, put the rice in, and then simmer it until the water was all used up and the rice was cooked.  I did add salt to the water.
While the rice was cooking, I mixed one can of low-sodium/fat cream of chicken soup to 3/4 of a can of Half and half.  I stirred that all together to get it ready for the rice.

And while the rice was still cooking, I took 6 slices of American cheese -- which I had in the fridge for Alan's sandwiches -- and cubed it, or cut it into small pieces and set that aside.  I put 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese (grated) into the soup mixture. 

And while the rice was cooking, I took the left over chicken which I had ripped off the carcus last night and made the pieces a bit smaller.

When the rice was finished cooking, I put it into the soup and stirred it real good, then I added the cheese and the chicken, stirring them into the soup/rice.  On top of the whole thing I sprinkled  Stove Top Stuffing Mix -- just enough to cover it.

I put it in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 1/2 hour -- it was really bubbling away when I opened the oven, and the stuffing mix was really crispy.

I dished it up onto a plate, sprinkled some black pepper over it, and dug in.  I have to say, it was really yummy and the rice was cooked.

I think I finally learned how to make a rice casserole and the rice gets cooks through.  No hard kernels this time!

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment