Friday, May 8, 2009

Children love this pasta

It's not a Runnemede Recipe -- in other words it's not from my mom. But it is, sort of. I recall she'd use different kinds of pasta on Sunday night, usually, and all she'd add was garlic powder and butter, and it was delish,. At least my 8-year-old pallete enjoyed it.

My take on that mom's Sunday-night offering is just a wee bit different

This is a bow-tie pasta recipe. I have friends who aren't fond of bowtie pasta, but Alan and I like it, so I use it a lot. It absorbs the sauce/gravy really well.

You'll need (for a family of 6)

one pound of bow-tie pasta, cooked according to the box directions. I like it a little softer than the box recipe, but it's a matter of your taste. Most people prefer el dente.

any veggies you like raw (shredded carrots, broccoli, peas, peppers, onions, zucchini, etc.) as many as you and your family will eat. I use about one cup of each one.

The sauce is basically butter and cream (or you can use milk, but it doesn't thicken as well).

In a sauce pan put three pats of butter and one cup of cream (I prefer heavy, or half and half, but you can use milk). Bring to a simmer and let simmer for about 10 minutes. Add 1 cup shredded cheese (your favorite). I use parmigiana or Romano cheese which I grate fresh. This will cause the mix to thicken. Simmer another minute until the cheese melts. Stirring while you wait.

When the sauce/gravy is ready, pour it all over the drained pasta which you have put in a dish and using a large spoon stir or mix the sauce/gravy into the pasta. Wait about three minutes and add the raw veggies. Stir again. I know raw peas (frozen) doesn't sound that great, but they cook in the hot pasta and by the time you get the dish to the table most of the veggies are blanched, and not so raw.

One note: I prefer to use cooked broccoli. I'm not a raw broccoli lover, and I like broccoli cooked until it is pretty soft, but not mushy.

Herbs you might want to add: basil (fresh); thyme (fresh); rosemary (fresh) -- not all three at once. One at a time. I also top it with fresh cut parsley.

Enjoy this one. It will become a summer favorite.

ttfn

No comments:

Post a Comment